Thursday, April 6, 2017

Time for an update

I've just started round 4 of the new treatment so I guess it is about time for an update.  I was really nervous about this combination of drugs because I had a friend have a lot of problems on it, but I have been incredibly lucky and had few side effects.  I  don't love the shots, but I sing hymns, supposedly in my head,  to get through the minute on each side. Apparently how loudly I'm humming/singing tells the nurse how much they are hurting as they are administered, lol.   My current hymns are Pierce My Ear (ironic, I know, but it is one of my favorites) and Surround Us O Lord. If you know of any good minute or so long hymns that I could put in the rotation, please let me know.

Along with the shots, I take Ibrance for 21 days of each month and then have a week off. The Ibrance definitely lowers my white blood cells, but thankfully, my neutrophils have stayed above the most dangerous range; so, I've been able to continue to work, etc.  I do have to take more precautions against infection as I could get sick much easier than most.  One of the things that made me nervous during chemo and now with lowered white blood cells is passing the communion as people so often come to church even while sick and often touch the bread as they are breaking it along with the trays, etc.  I have been so appreciative that the people who do the communion at Temple Terrace coC have worked with me on this and provided some individual servings so that I don't have to touch anything.   So, if you see me getting up before communion on Sunday mornings now you know that I am going back to get that and avoid any germs that might come with passing the trays.   I know it might seem like overkill to some,  but I did manage to avoid getting sick during all of the flu and other upper respiratory gunk that went around the last few months. With my lowered wbc counts,  an infection that most could get over very quickly could be quite dangerous for me.; so, doing what I can to avoid it is worth it to me.

There has not been a scan yet to give us any real results , but a PT scan will be done on April 28th.  I'll get the results of that at my monthly appointment the following Tuesday 5/2.    We have been watching the tumor markers which have always been fairly reliable for me.  They were in the normal range when diagnosed in November but they had done a 10 point jump up in the last couple of months. In January when we finally started the medication, they had raised another 7.6 points.  Since it took a month and a half to get everything biopsied and get on the new regiment, it is possible that there was some progression between November and January.   They've jumped around a bit since then, which is a bit stressful, but the most recent result (far left on graph below) is lower than it was when the cancer was found.


Hopefully, this means that things are possibly stable and/or moving in the right direction.  The markers are more about the trend than being a one-to-one correlation.  We'll know for sure what is going on once we get the pt scan done.  As much as I want the cancer gone and NED to return, I keep trying to remind myself that in metastatic world, it is a win anytime you stay stable or have any type of regression.  So, I am praying for any type of "good result", and I would still love your thoughts and prayers for that as well.  

In other news.......Sometimes it amazes me how things work out, and I just have to be so thankful. One of my online colleges has done some condensing of classes and beginning with this summer term, it will be unlikely for me to continue to have 2 sections.  It is amazing though how when one door closes another one opens.   I have been asked to create an online class for USF  that will begin in the fall semester.    It is a new twist on a class that I've taught before, and I'm really enjoying the process of working with their Innovative Education team to create the presentations and put everything together.    

Now I just have to get through the craziness of the last few weeks of the spring semester.  I know you're shocked, but I have multiple trips planned for the summer.  I had given myself a 5 year limit on going trip crazy, and after that I have to chill out a bit on it.  This summer hits that 5 year point which is important for many reasons. 

Anyway,  I'll report back once I have the results of the PT scan.  Hope the next month or so sends many blessings your way! 








4 comments:

  1. I can see where you have lots about which to be positive.. I am excited for you and the results you have had so far in this go 'round. Praying for continued positive results for you. Love to you, beautiful girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are inspiring as usual and I am always praying for you!!! Let me know if you need anything!
    Melissa A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Continuing to pray for you. You face these challenges so gracefully. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete