Wednesday, February 28, 2018

So long 7.5 mg, I barely knew ye

I started the lowered dose of 7.5 mg on Thursday night, and by Monday morning, the bad side effects were back.  I had to go to my primary care Monday afternoon for sinus and ear infection; so, just to make sure that it wasn't all in my head or I was just a wimp, I had them check out the side effects as well.   In a stroke of luck, I had the nurse practitioner who used to work at Moffitt and actually knew my drug and what it could do.  She very quickly told me that it was a definite problem, and I needed to stop the drug and call my oncologist's office.   4 doses -- I only got 4 doses in before it became a problem again, but the hospital experience is not one I want to enjoy again; so, I stopped it.

After a bit of phone tag, we got a plan determined yesterday for going forward.  The side effects need to be completely cleared, and we are not sure how long getting them cleared will take as the drug has a pretty long half life.  Once cleared, I will start on a new lowered dose to 5 mg.  Hopefully, this one will work and not wreak havoc on my body.

I keep trying to remember that the drug is failing me not the other way around.  In reality, if even the lowered dose is going to be too much, I hope in some ways that it does happen quick again; so that we can go ahead and move on to something else.  There are still more options in the pipeline, but of course, you never really want to lose one quickly.

So, thoughts and prayers for quick healing and the right drug for me to work would be greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment