Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Let's stay together

" 'Cause you make me feel so brand new, And I want to spend my life with you……oh let's…Let's stay together….."
 --  Well, according to the tumor markers, NED and I are staying together for a while longer!  The tumor markers were normal, and had actually dropped a little.  We are still going to do a PTscan because it has been 8 months since the last one, and my oncologist does not want to go more than 9 months without a scan.  I'm good with that though, and it sure is easier to go into a scan knowing that the numbers aren't showing anything yet.   I will have the scan once I'm back from the FC France & Italy trip later in May.  

A recent bone scan has shown that I have developed osteopenia which is a common side effect of the anti-hormonal cancer drug that I am on.  To avoid further problems, I will start taking Zometa infusions every 6 months (as long as insurance approves it).  This drug will help build the bones, and studies have actually shown that the changes can create an uninhabitable environment for bone mets, which I am happy for us to create.  The downside is that most people feel like they have the flu or like they did after chemo for a few days after the infusion.  Hopefully, the benefits will far outweigh the side effects.  We've scheduled my first infusion to happen at the same time as my port flush in June once I've finished my two big trips.  

So, while there are some changes, things are pretty positive right now, and I'll take it!  I appreciate any prayers offered previously, and would appreciate continued prayers for a good PT scan.  

No comments:

Post a Comment