Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Life's ebb and flow

It has been 3 months since I last posted; so, I thought it was time for an update. Healthwise, I have my oncology appointment next Friday, 4/24, to do tumor markers and other blood work.  It will take some time for results, and this feels like one that is a big deal since it will mark 2 years of being NED.  I'm already getting nervous which is ridiculous since it is still a week and a half away, but it just feels like a milestone.  Hopefully, I will begin a third year being able to say the same thing.   I'd really appreciate prayers for good results.

As I've mentioned before, I still take an anti-hormonal pill every day to help keep the cancer from returning.   Unfortunately, that pill seems to have raised my cholesterol, and then the pill to address that has ended up raising my blood sugar.  I was put on a medicine for that as well, and I will see tomorrow if that is helping my blood sugar or not.   It is kind of crazy to have to take more medicine to counteract side effects, but I'll do it to avoid the alternative.  The blood sugar medicine has actually been shown to reduce the risk of breast cancer recurrence; so, I'm hoping that it has some side benefits as well.

I'm still staying busy teaching 13 classes between 4 colleges this spring semester. Recently, though I've had a little more ebb than flow for future semesters.  I'm trying to find some new things to take up some of that slack. I would still most like to get on full-time at a college, but I am a bit limited since I'm not really able to move too far away from doctors and family due to everything.  Any prayers on the job front would be greatly appreciated as well.

Last but not least, I'll be crossing a few more things off my "Living List" this coming May and June.  I have two big trips planned: 1) France & Italy tour that my parents are leading and that I am getting to go on in a chaperone slot   2) Maui & Kauai, Hawaii where I get to stay in one of my timeshares on both islands.   Those trips were already paid for before I found out about the lost income for future semesters, and I'm glad that I will still get to do them.  It may sound silly, but it is really only in/on those trips that I feel free from the little black cloud of stage IV cancer that hovers slightly behind me all the time.  When traveling, I am just Nancy getting to enjoy a new place!

Oh, I almost forgot --  My hair has gotten so long (at least compared to being bald).   It now touches my shoulders, as you can see in the first picture, and I can even pull it up into a ponytail (bottom picture - Yes, it is a little puny ponytail, but it is one all the same).  Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment