Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Nancy's no good, very bad day :)

Have you ever had a day that so many things went wrong that you just had to laugh?  That was my day yesterday.

The day started with a trip to the oncologist to check the progress of the new meds.  We can't tell yet if they are working, but it was more of a check up on the side effects.  This combo definitely has side effects, but they are not inhibiting.  Mouthsores are a common side effect which we are trying to prepare against b/c the drug impacts linings .  I do a steroid mouthwash 4 times a day to help prevent them, and I've found that I have to eat really bland.  Pretty much any spice or acidic food will cause my mouth to burn.  Thankfully, with the mouthwash and now a new topical given at yesterday's appointment, we have been able to keep them from becoming full-fledged sores.  The med also causes some nausea, but I've learned to eat about 1/2 of what I previously did and that keeps it more under control.  Neither of these have impeded my normal day to day activities. But, if you are eating with or cooking for me, please understand that I have to be super careful what I eat and/or how much I eat.   Now if these things will result in some weight loss, that would be grand, lol! :)

This part of the day was great until I showed them a small spot that I wanted them to check on.  I assumed it was the beginning of the rash that you can get from Afinitor and hoped it wasn't something like skin mets.   It was a strong no to both of those, thankfully, but instead, I got looked at by multiple people who think it might be shingles.  What?!?  I don't have any pain, thankfully, but I was told to watch it carefully and given meds to start if needed.  Apparently, a good place to get shingles is right where you had a mastectomy as the nerves aren't actually attached......just hoping it doesn't grow and get to somewhere that they are.  Actually, hoping it really isn't shingles!

Over the last few days, I'd had some problems with my water heater and cold showers really aren't my thing.  So, I had scheduled a plumber to come check it out after doing some looking online, etc.  The plumber was very nice and actually recommended a rebuild of the elements, etc. rather than a new one.  This was great as it was 1/3-1/2 the cost.  My water heater is short and on a platform over my dryer in my laundry room.  So, he goes to drain the tank......and the drain pipe breaks off in his hand.  There was water and silt spraying everywhere.  The shut off valve for the water was way up in the corner by the ceiling.  He calls for me to try to shut it off, and I can't reach it even on the ladder.  (Not really sure why he didn't turn the water off before starting but this would have still happened as it was water in the tank) He was trying to hold the water off, pretty unsuccessfully, but finally was able to climb the ladder and get it off.  Both of us were soaked through with silt all in our hair and all over everything in the laundry room.  Silly me, I had thought to remove a laundry basket on the floor that would be in his way but not all of the hanging clothes directly across from the water heater.

After using just about every towel in the house and a wet vac to clean up, the plumber got everything done, and I was on to the task of trying to rewash all of the clothes hanging in the laundry room that were now wet & covered in white flakes.  The washer had just filled with a load and water when I noticed a strange hissing sound coming from an outlet in the wall behind the clothes.  A quick search ensued of which breaker controlled that outlet (of course it is the same one as the now filled with clothes and water washer) along with a call to the association president and then electrician.  They believe it is just got wet and needs to dry out for 24 hours. If not, I'll be calling the electrician back this afternoon. At least my water is HOT now.......that poor hot water heater had been chugging along at half or less speed for quite a while apparently.

While all of this was going on, I also received an email from a student in an online class that concerned me greatly and needed immediate action for services and help. I just pray that the student will respond to the services provided and use the help as needed.

By the time all of this was done, I was done too....  There was grading needing to be done, but I couldn't concentrate at all.  Thankfully, I had dinner with a good friend, and I called it a day.  Here is hoping that your Thanksgiving Eve Eve was less eventful than mine, and that you can laugh at the end of whatever happens with your day.  Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment