Friday, May 25, 2018

A little reprieve

Last month, my tumor markers had risen, and we scheduled a petscan for after my Baltics cruise.  My oncologist told me at that time that we would definitely be making the change to oral chemo, Xeloda, at my next appointment (which was today).  I had asked for prayers that the exemestane would work as well as possible in the meantime to keep things at bay.

The cruise was amazing and one that I would recommend to anyone.  I learned so much, and saw so many interesting sites.  We arrived home Monday evening, and I had my petscan this past Wednesday.   I had spent the past month preparing for the change to a more traditional chemo and had a sense of peace during the scan process.  I was ready for whatever this new drug would bring.

Jump to today, and I got a little reprieve.  While my tumor markers rose a few points more, the petscan results were mixed and basically stable.  The lymph nodes had gotten smaller & less bright on the scan, but the liver lesion had gotten slightly larger and brighter.   My oncologist ended up giving me the option of staying on the exemestane (an anti hormonal that I'm currently on) for another few months or doing the switch to Xeloda.

When asked which she would do, she stated that she would stay on the exemestane for the following reasons:
 * basically a stable result on the petscan and one that in a clinical trial would not be considered progression or necessitate a medication change
 * the longer you can get out of any one drug the better as there are only so many medication options out there
 * she has had patients go months in this sort of stable-ish type of pattern
 * if there was a cure, she'd have me change quickly, but since all of the medicines available are going to control not necessarily cure, it is better to stick with the one that has really no side effects for as long as possible.

I was worried that I would make a decision based on wanting to do the many trips that I have scheduled for July/early August, but after discussing all of the above with her, I feel very comfortable  and happy with the decision to stay on the exemestane for a while.  Also, if the current medicine is going to work on only one of the areas (lymph nodes or liver), it is actually better for it to work on the lymph nodes as they are not in a place where we can go in and remove them, but we do have some other options for the liver, such as ablation, if needed in the future.   My liver function tests have also decreased to almost normal which is a good sign.

So, I get a little reprieve from the big chemo guns for right now.  We will be checking tumor markers every month and scanning every 3 months.  If there is a drastic tumor marker change in any month, we would go ahead and scan as quickly as possible.  Even if this only gives a month or two more on the easier treatment, it is definitely worth it!   I am so appreciative of all those who've prayed for me and this situation, and would ask that you continue to pray send and/or send good thoughts that this medicine will work for as long as possible.  I am also so thankful for a doctor that is willing to do what is  needed to keep me living as good of a quality of life as possible while always having my best interests at heart.    Hope everyone has a wonderful summer!

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful that there is a reprieve from the big chemo option and happy you will be able to enjoy your summer plans. I truly believe that will be a positive thing for you as well... a relaxed and happy Nancy!

    ReplyDelete