It is never good when a doctor comes in and looks at you with the "I'm sorry" eyes. Hopefully, you've never encountered them, but some of you probably know the look, unfortunately. I found out today that my PETscan showed multiple areas in the liver that have as the oncologist put it a 95% probability of being the breast cancer and a 99% probability of being some form of cancer. I will be having a liver biopsy as soon as they can get it scheduled. (Doesn't that sound fun?) I'm hoping and praying that there is some way that this falls into that 1%, but if not this definitely changes things as it moves the cancer from curable with chemo wiping out any possible random stray cell to only treatable to try to suppress growth and shrink tumors as much as possible.
There are 2 aspects of this finding that are scary to me. The first is that the general guidelines for stage 1 breast cancer is to do a chest X-ray and bloodwork, but if those don't show anything, you are supposedly "good". I'm thankful that my oncologist did do the PETscan because she felt it was important to have every possible bit of information before starting chemo. The second is that there are spots there but my blood work is clear, and I have no symptoms of liver problems. Again, I guess I can just be thankful that everything was found in the timing that it has been, and that it still is treatable. But right now, the silver linings are a bit harder to see through the tears that keep falling.
I'd really appreciate any thoughts and prayers for strength, a positive attitude, and falling into that 1% if all possible.