Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Take that cancer stat

Today is my 1 year cancerversary, and all I keep thinking is "take that you silly cancer stat" regarding the average lifespan of stage 4 being 18 months.   It was right about this time last year that I got the call that put my sister & I on the road heading home from NC so that we could make the appointment that was scheduled for the next day.   I don't know what my bloodwork on the 30th will show, but I'm at least 2/3 of the way to beating that initial stat hurdle. Unlike then, when I had a gut feeling that I would be getting that cancer call, I feel at peace.  I have my side effects from the meds now, but I don't have that crushing fatigue that I had previously and now know was a symptom of the cancer.  I ask for your prayers that that will continue to be the case and the cancer will stay in remission for a long time.

I've been traveling the last week and a half, first with friends in Charleston and Myrtle Beach and now with family in NC. We've hiked to several waterfalls and to a beautiful mountain view, but I plan to take a "me day" today while the family goes hiking some harder trails.  A couple of possible adjunct opportunities have presented themselves in the last few weeks, and I have a phone interview with one of them this afternoon.   When adjuncting only, it is good to have multiple schools that you work for, as I do, because  each school may not always offer the class you teach or have enough students for it to make each time.  This summer has been much lighter on classes, and after this week, I will only have 2 online classes that I'm teaching until mid-August. This is quite a shift from the 5-7 classes that I usually have during the regular school year. While a little break is good to regroup, get some housework done, and get caught up with things, I'm really hoping that these opportunities will work out if they would be a good thing for me.  I'd appreciate your prayers on that as well!

It is always good to travel and see both friends and family.  I have always loved having this trip to NC with my nephews, and it is a wonderful bonus that my niece Lylah, & her parents, got to join us for a few days also.  Once I get home, it won't be too much longer, probably, before baby Drew will be born, and there will be a new nephew to enjoy.  Blessed to be able to spend time with all of them! Here are a few pics from this trip so far:


 






 

 




3 comments:

  1. So wonderful to see all of you in the pictures. We are so encouraged by your strength and good health right now. So thankful for God's faithfulness to His children. Continuing to pray for you daily.

    Much love and prayers,
    Beverly and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are traveling and spending time with family and friends! I continue to pray for you as do our prayer groups at church. May the Lord bless you and keep you.

    With love,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are having such a good summer, Nancy!
    Shane and Kristi

    ReplyDelete